WM ADCS Conference 2015
Thank you to all attendees
Morning Keynote addresses
Nick Whitfield, Chief Executive, Achieving for Children
Workshops: What are the big ideas
Dawn Roberts, Assistant Director – Early Help, Birmingham City Council, Emma Bennett, Service Director at Wolverhampton City Council and Tina McGrath, Interim Assistant Director at Solihull MBC
Isabel Vanderheeren, Strategic Lead – Early Help, Walsall MBC
Jim Collins, Assistant Director – Education and Corporate Parenting and Laura Johnston, Director of Children and Family Services, Telford and Wrekin Council
Tony Oakman, Strategic Director – People Services, Dudley MBC
Richard Hancock, Head of Families First, Lee Pardy-McLaughlin, Principal Social Worker, Staffordshire County Council
John Dixon, Interim Strategic Director – People and Beate Wagner, Head of Service for Children’s Social Care and Safeguarding, Warwickshire County Council
Ideas and actions arising from discussions on the day
- Think collectively about what our purpose is. We can then understand who our partners and what our priorities are.
- Scope out a proposition to create a regional head principal social worker; linking with universities; quality of practice links with universities.
- Looking for resources as a region – commissioning services jointly.
- Scoping out and producing an evidence based practice regional toolkit.
- Looking at issues together, where there are similarities demographically, e.g. in early help
- Capitalising on similarities across the region to develop win-wins (e.g. in adoption) but also recognising differences and hence limitations to working together.
- Looking beyond the West Midlands for examples of effective innovation and good practice.
- Investigate relationships between networks (e.g. early help and social care ADs) and think about how we link them up better.
- Sharing a regional legal team services/commissioning services better to get better value for money.
- Explore opportunities to work with communities more and looking into mixed regional partnerships (e.g. with Health, Police)
- Better and consistent communication about what is happening in the region.